All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Share this page:
 Post subject: Verse 2:41 - Do Not Purchase With My Revelations A Cheap Gain
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:14 pm 

DO not purchase with my revelations a cheap gain.

Waaminoo bima anzaltu musaddiqan lima maAAakum wala takoonoo awwala kafirin bihi wala tashtaroo bi-ayatee thamanan qaleelan wa-iyyaya faittaqooni

And believe in what I have sent down, authenticating what is with you, and do not be the first to disbelieve in it! And do not purchase with My revelations a cheap gain, and of Me you shall be aware.(2:41)- Monotheist Group 2013 Edition

We shall look closely at the words, 1) Purchase, 2) Slightly & 3) Price which seem to be the key words in this verse.

Purchase: Thashtharoo (Arabic) تَشْتَرُ

Synonyms: Buy

As common saying, buy can also mean “believe”, e.g. “He’s not going to buy that.” (Believe a lie)

In context with verse 2:41, Believing in something else other than the Quran. In previous times, may people neglected God’s earlier scriptures for something else.

Slightly/Cheap: Kha-Lee-Lun (Arabic) قَلِيلًا

Meaning: To a small degree; not considerably.

Synonyms :a little, a bit, somewhat, rather, moderately, to some degree, to a certain extent, to a slight extent, faintly, vaguely, obscurely; marginally, a shade; informal,sort of, kind of, kinda, ish (Taken from The Free Dictionary)
We could also use Cheap as a synonym which in turn can also mean "Shameless", e.g. "That man and his cheap tricks."

Let’s take this meaning and see how it applies to verse 41 of Surah Al Baqarah.

In context with verse (2:41): Taking Allah’s verses with a pinch of salt and underestimating them. Not really looking into His verses.
This could also mean by calling them incomplete and resorting to other narrations (Hadith) to try and understand them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Price: Thamanan (Arabic) ثَمَنًا

Synonym: Result

In context with verse 2:41, giving up God’s law to gain a small gift (boon of the world).

What this means: Do not underestimate God’s verses but do not use them to support any cheap thinking/shameful acts because that would be giving up the truth (God’s words).

The small gains can differ for people, for most, it will be what we class as “Worldly gains” such as wealth and women- albeit many women are inherited against their will because of Hadith and other sayings that people put their trust in rather than the Quran.

Examples of Shameful/Cheap gains

1) Child Marriage
2) Raping Women/Wife
3) Beating Wife
4) Slavery
5) Stoning Women/Men
6) Temporary Marriages (for sex)
7) Having harems
8) Cutting off hands

It could also be understood from the verse that, people think by obeying God they won’t be rewarded abundantly and so become impatient and indulge in the worldly life instead. To do this, they neglect God’s scripture[s] (Present time: Quran) (Past: The Torah and Gospels…etc)

Other English translations of the verse include, “To trade away” or “To Sell” which essentially means to give up.

In conclusion, taking on board the entire verse of 2:41,

• We mustn’t take God’s words lightly
• It’s not permitted for us to give up the Quran for any Hadiths/narrations/books.
• We should not use and twist Allah’s verses to support cheap acts.
• Following God’s law alone is a great benefit for us. We should be aware of Him.

The following members gave thanks to TruthSeeker101 for this post:  aqua (Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm)
 Post subject: Re: Verse 2:41 - Do Not Purchase With My Revelations A Cheap Gain
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing this thoughtful article. Did you write it?

The following members gave thanks to aqua for this post:  TruthSeeker101 (Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:34 pm)
 Post subject: Re: Verse 2:41 - Do Not Purchase With My Revelations A Cheap Gain
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:35 pm 

Thanks and yes, I did write this.

The following members gave thanks to TruthSeeker101 for this post:  aqua (Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:36 pm)
Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]